Terms of Reference For A Consultant On Developing Business Models For Empowerment Learning Centres
Oxfam is an international confederation of 20 affiliates networked together in more than 90 countries committed to ridding the world of poverty and injustice. To achieve this, we support local projects in developing countries, we lobby governments and companies to consider the interests of the poorest people and we campaign to involve citizens in our work. We implement our programs by working with local NGO partners and civil society organizations and engaging with private sector and governments.
In Uganda, Oxfam started work in the 1960s, partnering with local Organizations, volunteers and supporters as well as communities to bring about developmental change. It envisions Uganda free of extreme inequality and injustice; a society where citizens and particularly women across all age groups claim and exercise their rights and responsibilities; and are able to influence decisions that affect their lives. Our country program is anchored on three thematic goals, which aim to promote women’s rights, good Governance and accountability, Resilient livelihoods as well as enhance humanitarian preparedness, reduce vulnerability to disasters and ensure an effective response to humanitarian crises.
About Empower @ Scale Project
Oxfam in consortium with Hivos (Humanist Institute for Co-operation with Developing Countries), CEFORD (Community Organization for Rural Development), PELUM (Participatory Ecological Land Use Management) with support from International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) are implementing a project titled: Scaling up empowerment through household methodologies: from thousands to millions. The project seeks to propose a mechanism for facilitating the set-up and professionalising Empowerment Learning Centers (ELCs) which will be service centers for household methodologies like the Gender Actions Learning Systems (GALS) to different categories of clients.
Currently the scaling-up of HHM/GALS is promoted through smaller initiatives and projects. The consortium thus proposes a business “Growth model” starting with establishment of Empowerment Learning Centers (ELCs) and develop a business model for sustainability.
Purpose of the consultancy
Oxfam intends to hire a consultant to support the process of developing a business model that shall be used for sustainability of the ELCs.
- Develop a business model
- Facilitate the cocreation workshop for business modelling
- Expected outputs
- Training report developed and shared
- Business model developed and shared with Oxfam
Proposed schedule / timeframes
It is estimated that the assignment will take 10 working days excluding the day of signing the contract;
- 4 days ( 27th– 30th May) - Compilation and review of project documents & Developing and finalizing agenda for training materials
- 3 days (5th – 7th June) - Facilitate the cocreation workshop on business modelling
- 2 days (10th – 11th June) - Prepare and share the draft business model
- 1 day (14th June) - Prepare and submit the final business model
The consultant will work closely with the project team from Oxfam Uganda, The Hague and partner staff during the course of the assignment.
Fees and payments
The consultant will be paid in accordance with Oxfam consulting policy which stipulates 40% upon successful submission of the draft training report and business model and 60% upon successful completion and acceptance of the final report.
Skills and qualifications
- Demonstrable expertise in business modelling with a minimum of 8 years
- Have experience working among small holder farmers
- Knowledge in gender transformative Household Methodologies (HHM) and GALS
- Strong facilitation skills
- High capacity for writing in English and preparing quality written products
Application process and requirements
Qualified and interested parties are asked to submit the following;
- A detailed technical and financial proposal clearly demonstrating a thorough understanding of business modelling and the Gender Action learning systems.
- Company profile (where applicable).
- Demonstrated previous experience in similar tasks and other qualifications outlined in this TOR .
- Proposed timeframe detailing activities and a work plan.
- Curriculum Vitea
- A detailed budget with breakdown of costs for the assignment
All proposals should be emailed to email@example.com not later than 12:00pm 17th May, 2019.