TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR A CONSULTANT TO CONDUCT A TRAINING ON EFFECCTIVE WRITING, DOCUMENTATION AND DIGITAL INFLUENCING
Oxfam is a worldwide organization that employs over 6,000 people in more than 90 countries. We work together with partners and local communities to overcome poverty and inequality. We strive for a world where resources and power are distributed more equally and where everyone’s rights to a livelihood, basic services, protection from violence, and a say in their future are upheld. A world in which everyone enjoys the same opportunities – regardless of gender, race, culture, or physical ability. In Uganda, our program is anchored on three broad themes deliberately focused on Women’s Rights: Governance and Accountability, Resilient Livelihoods and Humanitarian Preparedness and Response.
Oxfam in Uganda is seeking for a consultant to conduct a 4 days’ comprehensive training on effective writing, documentation, and digital influencing. The training is organized for 15 Oxfam staff and partners from 22nd to 25th February 2021 in a venue selected outside Kampala.
The consultant is expected to deliver the comprehensive training with support from the Oxfam media and communications team. The training tools, detailed program, will be prepared, availed, and developed by the consultant and shared with the Oxfam media and communications team for review and discussion.
To build storytelling and documentation champions.
To strengthen the capacities of staff and partners in the area of writing and documentation as well as digital influencing.
The training topics are effective writing, documentation, and digital influencing.
METHODOLOGY AND SCOPE OF WORK
The consultant will work closely with Oxfam’s Media and Communications Coordinator to deliver the following;
- Interactive, engaging teaching materials, discussions, practical exercises, analytical case studies on best practices, take away notes, participatory games, role plays, and any other materials suitable for the training.
- A training agenda.
The following will be the expected deliverables of the facilitator:
- Conducting the 4- day training.
- Conducting an evaluation of the training.
- Sharing a training module with Oxfam’s Media and Communications Coordinator.
- Produce a well written and comprehensive training report.
At the end of the comprehensive training, staff and partners should demonstrate;
- Increase in evidence-based reporting (stories of change, achievements and best practices for replication)
- Improved quality of writing reflected through reports, stories, blogs and concepts
- Ability to create usable content in the form of case studies, change impact stories, marketing project profiles, experience storytelling and Oxfam’s track record on influencing
- Increased understanding and appreciation of the technologies changing the storytelling medium, as well as a new set of skills that will make you a fluent, active and engaging multimedia producer
- Understanding of best practices for on-camera interviewing and developing your own on-camera presence
- Ability to create compelling social media content for community engagement
- Skills in creating quality audio for videos or podcasts that engage audiences
- Increased understanding of interactive data visualizations, charts, graphs and maps to tell stories
- Increased understanding of story form and how to develop creative visual stories
- Understanding of the best media for telling stories on multiple digital platforms
- Understanding of approaches to develop strategies for multimedia production and delivery on mobile devices
DURATION AND TIME FRAME
- The training will be completed within 4 working days from 22nd to 25th February 2020
- The consultant and his/her team is/are expected to travel to the selected training venue on 21st February 2021 and return on 26th February 2021
CONSULTANT’S COMPETENCIES, EXPERIENCE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Possess a Master’s Degree in Social Sciences, Journalism and Communications, and related fields
- Experience and track record in conducting similar trainings
- Extensive experience (at least 3 years) experience in completing trainings/workshops for people centered organizations
- Extensive experience on building capacities
- Demonstrated high level of professionalism and an ability to work independently and in high pressure situations under tight deadlines
- Excellent inter-personal communication skills including experience of facilitation of trainings/workshops and presentation
CONSULTANT’S ROLE AND REPORTING LINE
- The consultant will plan for and deliver an effective training
- The consultant will report directly to Oxfam’s Media and Communications Coordinator
- A contract will be signed by the consultant upon commencement of the work which will detail additional terms and conditions of the service, inputs, and deliverables
- Payment will be done upon completion of the work and Oxfam’s approval of the final report
PROCESS OF THE SELECTION OF THE CONSULTANT
All expressions of interest should include:
- Letter of interest addressing the training criteria
- Technical proposal highlighting: brief explanation about the consultant with emphasis on previous experience in this kind of work; profile of the consultant to be provided in undertaking the end line; understanding of the TOR, the task to be accomplished as well as draft end line framework and plan, and key contacts for previous work done.
- Financial proposal providing a cost estimate for services to be rendered.
- A written sample of any previous work done reflecting similar experience.
Expression of interest should be submitted not later than 29th January 2021 at 4:00pm at the Country Office or sent to Ugandalogistics@oxfam.org referencing Expression of interest to conduct a training on effecctive writing, documentation , and digital influencing. Only selected candidates will be contacted.